“The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider’s web” - Pablo Picasso
Against Simplicity : Graduating project - Installation by Romik Bose Mitra
The Contemporary Art Practice program imagines a space that will stimulate and nurture the creative force and artistic curiosity that resides in every individual. Its premise is to enable the student to enter the field of art practice through an interdisciplinary approach.
By exploring old and new media forms like drawing, painting, textiles, digital computing, coding, film, sound, performance, along with an exposure to science, technology, craft and community practices, this program provides a vibrant context that encourages critical thinking through making, dialogue, collaboration and community interaction.
Learning and thinking by making and doing.
Explore materials and form using a variety of methods.
Play & Experiment
Shaping a reflective artistic practice through faculty feedback and dialogue.
An engagement with critical theory to understand the nature of artistic work.
To share/foster knowledge.
To develop collaborative approaches between artists and social groups.
Assemblage collage : class in progress
Digital Art : class in progress
The curriculum comprises of different ways of learning as follows:
- Foundation introduces students to basic principles and tools of Art, Design and Technology as methods, tools and processes
- Disciplinary Studios are learning spaces where students develop core disciplinary capabilities, while navigating a trans-disciplinary environment
- General Studies: A common and compulsory programme of study that integrates Humanities, Sciences, Development and Policy Studies and also offers Languages-English, Indian- Hindi and Kannada as well as Foreign (Spanish, French and German)
- Interim: An introduction to practice in new and emerging areas of art and design
- Electives: Of three kinds- this program allows students to expand their skills, develop the interests as well as provide opportunities for travel exchange
- Internship/Apprenticeship: Compulsory work experience done over the summer-break between the 6th and 7th semester
- Project involves the application, synthesis and demonstration of capabilities acquired, and is a qualifier to the thesis
- Thesis is culmination of the 4-year program, which allows for demonstration of an integration of values, positions, capabilities and practice.
- An emphasis on making through interdisciplinarity, for developing self-expression, and for working within creative economies.
- Participatory approach through an engagement among communities.
- Contextual learning for public spaces in cities to develop public art, performances, poetic experiences in a variety of media.
- Exposure to traditional craft as well as global contemporary art practices through craft people and artist interactions, workshops and seminars.
- Developing a theoretical and interpretative framework to understand art practices
- As a space for creativity students are also encouraged to do research, and take fieldtrips, collaborate to enhance the studio learning environment.
Form 3D : class in progress
Sound art : class in progress
Pop Art: class work by Gauri Nagpal
- Able to interact with a context intuitively through self-defined frameworks
- Make connections and builds relationships with diverse communities
- Develop a questioning attitude toward ability to take ownership of process leading to practice
- Build a sustained relationship with relevant spheres of practice
- Explore diverse forms of knowledge
- Collaborate as two-way process and develops strategies for dissemination
- Create, then frame meaning through engaged reflection
- Able to identify and harness resources
- Aim to trigger curiosity in others/someone (impact, persuasion, intervention)
- Use recursivity as method of growth
- Develop a practice as an artist, and be sensitive to artistic processes through an appreciation of art
- Can work in education, social organisations, and other creative industries
- Pursue higher studies
For further information, kindly email Pooja Kaul at email@example.com
Assemblage Collage : Class in progress
The program is informed by the following learning disciplines:
Research and Collaboration
Students under this program will have an opportunity to work at the following labs at Srishti.