“Simplicity is about subtracting the obvious and adding the meaningful” - John Maeda
The future of ‘how, why and where things are made’ is rapidly changing with new technologies and possibilities emerging every day. What does this mean for the designer of the future? How can we use the power of new technologies along with the unique tradition of making we have in India to create a new language in design and art?
We facilitate design and art professionals of the future, who can work in multiple contexts, make complex connections, lead and manage change. We facilitate and inculcate working with autonomy towards a clear self-position, be it as an entrepreneur, a design lead or as an independent creative practitioner.
The course combines best practices from art and design methodologies, which then allows the student a complex navigation between exploring, conceptualizing and translation. The common values of art and design lie in rigorous understanding and embracing of thinking and making practices using tools like mapping, systems understanding, making informed choices about materials and processes and translating the abstract into tangible form etc.
The artistic practice allows one to develop sensibilities exploring multiple materials, techniques and technologies, craft and mass manufacturing industries leading to a rigorous search for form and content. The program opens up possibilities to establish a dialogue between multiple media, materiality and conceptual rigor.
The course allows you to build a creative practice based on the previous education and experiences, without abandoning the same. The overall learning experience helps you leverage past education to move to a position where you are able to lead, drive and manage, rather than start afresh in any new field.
If you see yourself as a creative textile designer or artist, if you are keenly interested in the way products are envisaged, used and valued, if you would like to influence the way people use furniture in the future, we help you construct frameworks to realize your potential and vision.
- Disciplinary Studies
- Trans-disciplinary Projects
- Theory and Understanding Units
- Self-Directed Inquiry/Research
- Knowledge Enhancement (Ability or Skills)
- Integrated and focused approach to design and making, which empowers one to develop creative solutions, alongside challenges involved in working with materials and processes, industry and commercialization.
- Choosing outcomes that can lead to artistic expression, consciously choosing different methods of creative thinking.
- Harnessing expertise and rich making skills available profusely at all levels in the Indian context through Locative Making
- Inter-disciplinary and participatory approach through engagement with people
- Expression of acquired learning using a theoretical framework to create a discourse, which sets the platform for new avenues. Understanding and positioning oneself in the larger eco-system.
- Self motivated learning and Independent study, which comprises of research and scholarship, intellectual independence, management and supervision of one’s own work and study, being responsible for strategic decision making.
- To abstract – navigating complexity and scale, to distil and express the essence
- To envision – an idea, a project, a future, a system, a practice, an industry
- To be industrious – to engage and persist, to analyze and synthesize, to translate and refine, to be proficient
- To be curious – to explore and stretch, to challenge convention, to push boundaries
- To be empathic – to people, to the ecology, to practices, to material
- To be a conscious practitioner – to understand worldviews, develop alertness, to lead and manage with the ability to understand systems
- To be expressive – to be able to construct new theoretical and practical frameworks
These capability sets equip and prepare the student for a wide range of opportunities with:
- Creative Manufacturing Sectors – To be able to lead and drive creative practices in the non-governmental sector as well as mainstream Industry.
- Creative Studio Practice – Set up a studio practice to create and make exclusive high quality artworks and art projects in chosen material and techniques.
- Design studios, R&D departments – Disseminating creative energies as a creative leader in small & large industries, and multi-national corporations, Merchandising and Strategic Product Planning in Retail, UI & UX in e-commerce for the transactions of the future.
- Family owned and managed Businesses – working for or creating a family venture, to bring in new practices and methods to rejuvenate older traditions.
- Start-ups, small and medium enterprises – Propositioning as a contemporary craft practitioner, entrepreneur or design consultant.
The program is informed by the following learning disciplines. The course structure allows you
- To focus on a specific discipline - Textile, Product, Furniture design
- To build an interdisciplinary practice
- To develop an individual art practice informed by a discipline or techniques/material and develop rigor in conceptualization and translation
Contemporary Textile Practices
Experimental Media Arts