The 4-year Undergraduate Professional Program in Design and Fine Arts is committed to training students in the various fields of art and design with a focus on cross-disciplinary education. The program exposes students to an exploratory and creative learning process with a focus on experiential learning.
During the course of studies, an individual concentrates on the building of basic technical and conceptual skills in art, design and technology organized under particular Design philosophies and principles. Students are provided with context-based learning in real world and complex scenarios that will hone both their technical and conceptual skills in the following areas
Courses in Design
Bachelor of Design (B.Des) degree awarded by Bangalore Central University.
Courses in Fine Arts
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A) degree awarded by Bangalore Central University.
One-year Foundation Studies Program during which students get introduced to a broad interdisciplinary contextual approach towards cultural and critical enquiry as an over arching principle of creative art and design practice.
Two-year Studio Based Programs where students may navigate, explore and experience courses offered in various disciplines.
One-year Project Based Program which allows for synthesis and consolidation of skills, positions and perspectives.
Students are also required to do an internship of 6-8 weeks at the end of the 2nd year of Professional Program.
Eligibility for Admission
Applicants should have successfully completed any one of the following:
- National and International Boards – CBSE/ISC/IB/AICE/A Levels
- State Boards, Junior College, Intermediate, HSSC, PUC, Senior Secondary
- National Institute of Open Schooling, New Delhi (NIOS) – Senior Secondary
- State Board of Technical Education – Diploma equivalent to PUC/Class 12
- High School Diploma (USA/Canada)
A candidate must successfully complete the Undergraduate Professional Program admissions process that comprises of an entrance test followed by a portfolio review & interview.
Selection Protocols 2019
Selection Protocols 2019
(For Foreign Nationals)
Fee Schedule 2019 - for Indian Applicants
Fee Schedule 2019 - for International Applicants
What are the characteristics of an Undergraduate Professional Program?
“A professional is a member of a profession or any person who earns their living from a specified professional activity. The term also describes the standards of education and training that prepare members of the profession with the particular knowledge and skills necessary to perform their specific role within that profession” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional)
Professional education differs from its counter-parts in technical/vocational education or liberal arts based undergraduate education in that it has perhaps the best combination of both and yet is distinctively different. At Srishti the Undergraduate Professional Program or UGPP, allows learning within social, cultural and economic contexts that allow for the development of a professional practice that is India-centric.
The Undergraduate Professional Program (UGPP) has as its underpinning principle the notion of context based learning which is defined as
Context-based learning, CBL, refers to the use of real-life and imaginary scenarios in teaching-learning environments in order to learn through the actual, practical experience with a subject rather than just its mere theoretical parts. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-based_learning)
The Undergraduate Professional Program at Srishti has the following characteristics:
- Duration of a minimum of 4 years ( 8 semesters) to earn a university accredited degree – Bachelor of Design (B.Des.) or Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)
- Has points of exit and entry that allows for the extension of the 4 years or 8 semesters to a maximum of 6 years ( with drop or repeat of semesters)as per the published norms
- Borrowing from principles of undergraduate liberal education the program is broad-based
- Has a common Foundation year ( two semesters) which is terminal ( all regulatory requirements must be met before transitioning to Semester 3 and is common to all professional tracks.
- Allows flexibility through a well constructed choice based system comprising of declared major and minors from the third semester onwards
- Develops capabilities and habits of mind that allow for professional practice to emerge from contexts and problems posed as part of learning.
- Is experiential and allows for extensive field-based authentic learning and practice.
- Develops an understanding of professional practice from both an independent and industry based perspective
- Clear escalation to levels of higher learning (such as a Masters or Masters cum Doctoral Programs of study). (Click here to view)
- Access to the creative industries through projects and internships; access to international collaborations through exchange programs and to visiting artists/scholars/designers from across the world through its winter interim semester.
- Professional standards and ethics of practice incorporated in the program.
- Opportunities to join industry/creative studio at a professional level or practice as an independent artist or designer.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the (PDF) files that you download. This is a free program available from the Adobe web site. Follow the download directions on the Adobe web site to get your copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.